How to Manage Stress During Post-Secondary School in Calgary
Here are five tips on how to manage stress if you are a student in a continuing education program or post-secondary school in Calgary:
- Exercise. Regardless of how busy you are, you should maintain a regular exercise program. Studies show that regular exercise improves your ability to concentrate, relax, cope with stress and get a good night’s sleep.
- Sleep. Don’t skimp on your shut-eye! Studies have shown that students who get 7 – 8 hours of sleep a night often have better grades than those who sleep less. A regular sleep routine that may include an afternoon nap has many of the same benefits as getting regular exercise. So, avoid cramming late into the night and save the partying for after graduation!
- Eat well. If you don’t supply your body the nutritional elements it needs, it won’t be able to give you the physical support you need. Avoid binge eating, fast-food and excessive consumption of caffeinated or energy drinks. These may give you a short-lived rush, but they will also most likely leave you drained after the initial boost.
- Pace yourself. Your brain can’t go full-throttle for 24 hours! Even during the most stressful times at school, make sure to take frequent breaks away from the books. Even short breathers will help you get back to work refreshed, energized and better able to concentrate.
- Think positively. Stress has a way of mushrooming into distress when left unchecked. A positive and optimistic mindset can help control stress before it becomes paralyzing. Doing this on your own can be difficult, however, so make sure you have a support group to share with and get positive feedback from before you get overwhelmed.
Are you enrolled in continuing education or at a postsecondary school in Calgary? Is stress getting to you? Call us at ABES (Alberta Business & Educational Services)! We can help. At ABES, we know what continuing education in Calgary is all about; we’ve been one of Calgary’s premier postsecondary schools for over 25 years!
Contact us at ABES today!