How to Become a Health Care Aide in Calgary Alberta
Are you a people person? Do you love helping others?
If you answered “yes,” then a career as a health care aide may be right for you. With our aging population, there is more demand than ever on the health care system in Calgary.
What do health care aides do?
Health care aides are a critical component of the health care system. They are entry-level health care workers who provide personal support and basic health care to individuals. They are also known as health care assistants, home support workers or personal care attendants.
Health care aides help people who are old or sick. They also help people with conditions that prevent them from performing basic life functions. Duties might include:
- Administering medication
- Providing first aid
- Providing foot care
- Taking clients for walks
- Helping stationary clients get exercise
- Preparing healthy meals
- Bathing, dressing and feeding clients
- Toileting assistance
- Providing palliative care to Alzheimer’s or dementia patients
Where do health care aides work?
Health care support is in such high demand that health care aides make up 70 percent of the direct service providers in the continuing care segment. They work in:
- Nursing homes
- Group homes
- Seniors complexes
- Private homes
What education do health care aides need?
The Government of Alberta created the Health Care Aide Government of Alberta Provincial Curriculum to encourage consistent training in the health care aide workforce.
It promotes high standards in health care support and ensures that those entering the field develop minimum proficiencies.
To take the health care aide course in Calgary, you must apply to an educational institute licensed to teach the curriculum.
What prerequisites are necessary?
To enroll and successfully graduate from the health care aide course some core competencies are required. You need:
- Minimum Grade 10 reading and writing
- To be comfortable around those who are old or sick
- To be strong and in good health
- To be patient, discreet, gentle and dependable
- Excellent communication skills
- To pass a criminal record check
Where can you find health care aide training?
At Alberta Business & Education Services Ltd., you can become a Certified Health Care Aide in just 21 weeks. Including the Health Care Aide Certificate, you also earn:
- First Aid Certificate for Health Care professionals
- CPR Certificate for Health Care Professionals
- Defibrillator Certification for Health Care Professionals
- Supportive Pathways Certificate (Carewest)
- Diabetes Certification
- Foot Care Certification
- Medication Administration Certificate
- WHMIS Certificate
- Alberta Health Services FoodSafe Certificate
- Hospice and Palliative Care Certificate
- Money Management Certificate
- Alzheimer’s Society Best Friends Certificate
If you’re interested in attending a nursing school in Calgary, our program provides an excellent bridge to LPN training. To learn more or to take a tour of our facility, contact us today.